* * * * * 1 votes
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#41 Valin

• Board Member
  • 36,425 posts
  • Minnesota

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

nickydog

I had a brother in law who was a Seabee in WWII, he really hated the Japanese. I bought a Sabaru, not only would he not let me park it in his driveway, I had to park it down the block so he wouldn't see it. The war in the Pacific really was different than Europe.

#42 saveliberty

• Members
  • 52,678 posts
  • United States

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

City Journal

Kay S. Hymowitz
White Blight
Charles Murray depicts an increasingly two-tiered white America.
25 January 2012

Posted Image
Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960–2010, by Charles Murray (Crown Forum, 416 pp., $27)
Charles Murray is back, and the debate about wealth and inequality will never be the same. Readers of the political scientist’s earlier work, especially The Bell Curve and Losing Ground, might assume that with his new book he is returning to the vexed subject of race. He is, but with a twist: Murray’s area of intensive focus (and data mining) is “the state of white America”—and it’s not what you might think.

According to Murray, the last 50 years have seen the emergence of a “new upper class.” By this he means something quite different from the 1 percent that makes the Occupy Wall Streeters shake their pitchforks. He refers, rather, to the cognitive elite that he and his coauthor Richard Herrnstein warned about in The Bell Curve. This elite is blessed with diplomas from top colleges and with jobs that allow them to afford homes in Nassau County, New York and Fairfax County, Virginia. They’ve earned these things not through trust funds, Murray explains, but because of the high IQs that the postindustrial economy so richly rewards.

Murray creates a fictional town, Belmont, to illustrate the demographics and culture of the new upper class. Belmont looks nothing like the well-heeled but corrupt, godless enclave of the populist imagination. On the contrary: the top 20 percent of citizens in income and education exemplify the core founding virtues Murray defines as industriousness, honesty, marriage, and religious observance. Yes, the elites rebelled against bourgeois America in the late 1960s and 1970s, but it wasn’t long before they put away their counterculture garb. Today, they work long hours and raise their doted-upon offspring in stable homes. One of the most ignored facts about American social life is that the divorce rate among the college-educated has been declining since the early 1980s, while their illegitimate children (as they used to be called) remain as rare as pickup trucks in their garages. Murray deems some of the Belmontians’ financial excesses “unseemly,” but for the most part, he finds them law-abiding and civically engaged—taking their children to church or synagogue, organizing petitions for new stoplights or parks, running Little League teams and PTA fundraisers.

#43 RandyM

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Georgia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Just finished Being George Washington by Glenn Beck.

A very good read. No rantings. Just a good book about a great man.

#44 logicnreason

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • United States

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Just finished reading Greider's "Who Will Tell The People". I usually don't care for political tomes during election season, but this book is the exception. Written in the early 90s by the same author who gave us "Secrets of the Temple", Greider presents a solid and fact-filled case for the fact that, "it is well known that the American people cannot stand their congress person. What is little known, but no less true is that the American congress can't stand the American people."
Once it begins, it's hard to put down. And it is as frighteningly relevent today as it was the day the ink first dried.

#45 nickydog

• Members
  • 12,582 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

And I just finished reading The Last American Man, about a guy named Eustace Conway, the saddest, most damaged, frustrated, accomplished, interesting, smart, impossible man in this country probably. Has anyone else read it?

#46 logicnreason

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • United States

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

OK....it's been awhile....now I've just finished reading Dicken's "Bleak House"...great yarn. That guy could tell a heck of a story!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users