Rescue capsule arrives at Chilean mine

Geee

rescue-capsule-arrives-at-chilean-mine-2090148.html
UK Independent:

The first of three rescue capsules specially built to lift out 33 Chilean miners trapped since early August arrived at the mine.

Two back-up rescue devices constructed at Chile's naval shipyard are expected to be delivered next week.

The man-size capsule will be used to pull the miners out one by one once one of the three rescue holes being drilled reach the men.

The government said that should happen by early November or earlier if all goes well.

Mining minister Laurence Golborne showed off the first capsule to relatives of the trapped miners.

Mr Golborne and about a dozen family members tried out the capsule, a 924-pound tube made of steel mesh and sheets that is big enough to hold one person.

Carolina Lobos, the 25-year-old daughter of trapped miner Franklin Lobos, said the device seemed very small and confining when she first saw it. But after trying it out, she called it comfortable.

"It's very exciting," she added.

The capsule is nearly 10 feet tall on the outside. Inside, the space is 61/4 feet high and about 21 inches across.snip

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Celebrating American greatness…in Chile; Update: Live rescue video link added

FROM

http://michellemalkin.com/2010/10/12/celebrating-american-greatness-in-chile/

Celebrating American greatness…in Chile; Update: Live rescue video link added

By Michelle Malkin • October 12, 2010 10:01 AM

Scroll for updates…added: NASA’s invaluable contributions…5:44pm Eastern…first miners scheduled to be rescued within hours…

LIVE VIDEO OF RESCUE: CLICK HERE…

LIVE VIDEO OF RESCUE: CLICK HERE…

In a different day and age, Jeff Hart would be the most famous American in our country right now. He would be honored at the White House. Schoolchildren would learn of his skill and heroism. But because Jeff Hart works in an industry under fire by the Obama administration, more people in Chile will celebrate this symbol of American greatness than in America itself.

Jeff Hart is a driller based in my home state of Colorado. The father of two has been drilling water wells in Afghanistan at U.S. Army bases. When the San Jose Mine in Chile collapsed in August, he flew to lend his renowned expertise to the rescue effort. As part of an amazing three-way race to the trapped miners, Hart drilled for 33 days straight and was first to reach the caved-in workers. The AP recounts the story — and what strikes me again and again is how the world turned to American ingenuity and American fortitude and American equipment and American enterprise to get the job done:

snip

In order to have proper Balance in the Universe, select individuals could replace these poor men for the balance of their terms. They would all have food and water, and be given access to a TV set on a one-way feed, tuned to FOX, and right-sided blogs on the Internet, one -way feed only. Even 60 or 90 days out of the way would be good for the Nation.

Fox and CNN are still at it. Thank goodness there weren't a million trapped. We'd be at it until 2012. This is coverage ad nauseum. We have an electorate to try and educate.